Friday, 28 April 2017
All you need to know
Basic Documentation Civil Ceremony

First both marrying parties must apply for a Single Status Statutory Declaration from a solicitor in the UK or a Certificate of No Impediment from the Department of Foreign Affairs in Ireland. Provided there are no queries arising from your application you will be given a Certificate of No Impediment. The certificate will be valid for 3 months from the date of issue. Important: Documents can not be dated any earlier than 12 weeks before the wedding date.

If you intend to marry in Malta you will need the following documentation:
  • Original or Certified copy of Full Version Birth Certificate for both the bride and groom (must show both parents’ names). You are required to bring the original full birth certificate with you to Malta. The birth certificates must have an Apostille Stamp. Under Maltese Law the original birth certificate along with all the other completed legal documentation must remain in Malta. You can obtain a copy of your full birth certificate from your local registry office in the UK/ Ireland. It would be wise to do this before you hand over your original in Malta.
  • Single Status Statutory Declaration on headed paper and stamped by a solicitor in the UK/ Certificate of No Impediment from the department of Foreign Affairs, stamped by Dept. of Foreign Affairs.
  • A photocopy of valid passports for both the bride and groom signed and stamped by a solicitor.
  • A photocopy of valid passports of two witnesses.
  • If previously married, a copy of the Certificate for your first marriage authenticated by a solicitor which should then be accompanied by a copy of the Decree of Absolute authenticated by a solicitor.
  • If widowed a copy of spouse’s Death Certificate and a copy of the previous Marriage Certificate must be authenticated by a solicitor.
  • An Affidavit by 3rd person drawn up in the presence of a solicitor, stating that since the death of former spouse / date of divorce, one did not re-marry (if applicable).
  • If you have changed your name by Deed Poll or you were adopted, proof is required which then must be authenticated by a solicitor.
  • Parental consent required in the form of Statutory Declaration/affidavit authenticated by a solicitor.
  • Complete form RZ1 certificate (Application Form), which does not need to be authenticated by a solicitor.
  • Complete RZ2 certificate (Declaration Form). The bride and groom must each complete a separate form, both of which need then be signed and stamped by a solicitor.

Important Notes:

All forms MUST be original and will be retained in Malta. Photocopies will not be accepted by the Registry Office (with the exception of passports).

All documents must be signed and dated (as indicated) and then posted to our Wedding Department at least 10 weeks prior to the date of ceremony.

Please remember that ALL documents must be sent to our Wedding department and received by 10 weeks before the wedding date.

Documents CAN NOT be dated any earlier than 12 weeks before the wedding date.

Aeolos Malta does not accept responsibility for the late arrival of the legal documentation; which may result in your wedding not taking place. Any costs incurred by yourselves as a result of Maltese requirements are for your own account and are not part of the wedding prices offered.

Please note that the above original documents, where required, may be retained in Malta.

Religious ceremonies usually entail further paperwork (requiring at least 6 months notice). Please see your local church secretary at your earliest opportunity.

Residency Stay

There is no residence requirement however couples are required to visit the Marriage Registry in Valletta to finalise the paperwork before their wedding day, so it may be advisable to arrive at least 2-3 days earlier. You will both need to have your passports with you.

Religious Ceremony

Malta is recognised as a Roman Catholic country with ninety-one percent of Maltese people belonging to the Roman Catholic religion, although Anglican Church weddings can be celebrated. Religious weddings are legally binding provided the couple comply with the requirements of the local Public Registry in Malta.

Catholic Church Wedding

The bride and groom should allow six months before their wedding date to prepare the required church documents. You should contact your local parish priest to obtain the following documents:
  • Pre-nuptial Investigation forms
  • Affidavits of Freedom to Marry for both bride and groom
  • Baptism and Confirmation Certificates (this can not be issued more than six months in advance)
  • Priest’s written statement that pre-marital instructions have been given
  • Permission by the Ordinary or his delegate for marriage for marriage to be celebrated outside his Diocese (in this case Malta)
  • Any required dispensations from the Diocese of the Catholic party
  • In the case of a mixed marriage a document to declare that the other non-Catholic part will not obstruct his/her future children from being brought up in the Catholic faith, if the Catholic spouse so wishes)
Once the documents have been completed they are then forwarded by your local parish to the Chancellory (or your Bishop’s administration offices). They are then checked and they forwarded onto the Maltese Archbishop’s administration.

Here the documents will again be checked and finally be forwarded on to the local parish priest in Malta, who is to perform your wedding. There will be an administration fee to pay, associated with the above process, and a contribution fee.

The Prenuptial Enquiry form which the Parish Priest of the couple completes has to be sent to the Archbishop’s address. This form is sent directly by Bishop's House of the diocese where the couple resides.
Other correspondence is sent to the Parish Priest for the English speaking Catholics:


It is most unlikely that a couple will be allowed to have a Roman Catholic wedding if either party has been previously divorced. However you may still wish to ask the Maltese Curia will regards to the possibility.

Anglican Church Weddings

One or both parties must be baptized Anglican if you wish to have an Anglican wedding.

Religious Blessing

You may want to consider a religious blessing, bear in mind the ceremony will not be legally binding so you may want to have a Civil Wedding at home before you fly out to Malta. This option is popular with partners where one or both have been previously divorced.
Whatever type of religious ceremony you opt for there are officiates who are able to perform the wedding ceremony in English, however if your ceremony is conducted in Maltese you should arrange to have an interpreter present if neither of you speak Maltese.